Rotator Cuff Repair Protocol
Phase I – 0 to 6 weeks post-op
- Use sling as directed by the surgeon.
- Passive external rotation to normal range of motion (ROM) – Rotation only to 0 degrees in the case of a subscapularis tear.
- Home exercise program (HEP) with a cane and scapular retraction.
- Elbow and wrist – active ROM
Phase II – 6 to 12 weekspost-op
- Discontinue sling use
- Initiate passive ROM for elevation and internal rotation
- Use pulleys for HEP
Phase III – Begins at 12 weeks post-op
- Initiate strengthening exercises.
Phase IV – Begins around 6 months post-op
- Resume overhead activities that accelerate arm such as golf, tennis and baseball.